ALAMGANJ: Alamganj was a village of 100 houses belonging to the Maturizai section of Baezais. It was situated on a spur about a mile from the Swat River on the left bank opposite the Sebujni village of Sher Palam. Water was used from an irrigation channel. The leading Malak in 1895 was Rahmat Shah.
ALIGRAMA: Aligrama was a village occupied by the Asha Khel branch of Nikpi Khels. It consisted of 180 houses and was situated about half a mile from the right bank of the Swat and 16 miles from Chakdara on the Upper Swat road, which passes through the village. Water from used from a spring. The leading Malik in 1895 was Muhammad Akram.
AMLUK DARA: Amluk Dara was a Baezai ‘banda’ of 40 houses and contained tenants and servants of the Aba Khel (Kuz Sulizai) village of Ghalegai. It was up a branch of the Karakar Nala, on the left bank of the Swat River. Water was utilized from a spring.
ASALA: Asala was a village occupied by the Azi Khel section of Baezais. It consisted of about 60 houses and was situated on the left bank of the Swat River opposite the Shamizai village of Kuz Durushkhela.
ASHA KHEL: Asha Khel was a branch of the Nikpi Khels. They occupied the portion of the ‘daftar’ (dawtar) which was on the bank of the Swat River above the point where the Nikpi Khel stream joined it. The leading man in 1895 was Yusuf Khan who was the most influential Malak among all the Nikpi Khel.
ASHARAI: Asharai was a Shamizai village of 80 houses. It was on the left bank of the Sakhra Nala near its junction with the Swat River. The Malak in 1895 was Husain Khan. He was very old (in 1895) and was the most influential man among the Shamizais. He was also said to be very hostile to the Britishers.
AZZI KHEL: Azzi Khel was a section of the Baezai tribe, occupying the left bank of the Swat River above Mingaora between the section Maturizai and Jinki Khel. The three were known collectively known as Bar Sulizai. The inhabitants of the above numbered about 3,500, including 900 fighting-men (in 1895). In addition to the above there was a division of this section who inhabited the lower end of the Kana valley, Upal and Chakesar. These altogether numbered about 4,000 inhabitants including 1,200 fighting men. Zadullah Khan was the head of the section then.
BABU: Babu was a hamlet of 20 houses in Upper Swat on the east side of Chaliar. It belonged to the Azzi Khel section of Bar Sulizai. Water was brought from a stream.
REFERENCE (SOURCE OF INFORMATION):
‘Gazetteer of Districts Adjoining the routes followed by Chitral Relief Force 1895’, Included As Part II with the title, ‘Gazetteer of Topographical and Ethnographical Information’, In ‘The ‘Military Report on Dir, Swat and Bajour’, (First Edition), Intelligence Branch , Division of the Chief of Staff, India, Shimla (1906), Pages 5-16.
TO BE CONTINUED…