BALOGRAM: In 1895, Balogram was a village occupied by the Barat Khel (Babuzai), a section of Baizais. It is situated on the skirt of the hills on the left bank of the Swat river from which it is distant about a mile, and opposite the Nikpi Khel village of Chindakor ( Kabal). The Malaks of Balogram in 1895 were Nazr and Nusrullah Khan. Nusrullah was one of the most influential man in the entire section of Baizai as well.
BALO: Balo was a ‘banda’ of 20 houses belonging to the Musa Khel village of Abuha and situated on the left bank of River Swat. It is situated just below a spur. Drinking water was then utilized from a spring.
BAMAKHELA: Bamakhela were two Shamizai villages of the Hassan Khel section and were known as Bar (Upper) and Kuz (Lower) Bamakhela respectively. These villages were situated (the former one and half mile north of the later) on the left bank of the Harnawai at its junction with the river Swat –each village contained 80 to 90 houses. In 1895, Rashtul was the Malak of Kuz Bamakhela, while his son Jahangir Khan, was the headman in Bar Bamakhela.
BAMI KHEL: Bami Khel is one of the four sections of the Baezai tribe which are included in the Babuzais. They occupied the left bank of the Swat River, and divided from the Akumaruf (the section next to the south) by the Shamilai spur. Above them (north) were the Bar Sulizais. In 1895, they could probably muster about 800 fighting men. The population of the section was about 3,000.
BANDAGHAL: Bandaghal was a hamlet of 15 houses containing Miangans in Upper Swat on the left bank of the River Swat. It was situated on the skirt of the hills in the Bami Khel ‘Tappa’ of the Babuzai.
BANDAI (BAR): Bar Bandai was an important village of the Asha Khel branch of Nikbi Khels .It is situated on the road to Upper Swat, about a mile above Kuz Bandai. It contained about 500 houses (780 according to Sikander Shah). Water was used from an irrigation channels. Its Malak in 1895 was Amirullah Khan.
BANDAI (KUZ): Kuz Bandai was also most important village of the Nikbi Khels. It contained some 500 houses (Daftar Sikandar Shah estimates the number at 950) of the Asha Khel branch of this section. It is situated about 14 miles from the right bank of the Swat River and 20 miles from Chakdara on the road to Upper Swat. The chief Malak in 1895 was Yusaf Khan, the most important man among the Nikbi Khels at that time and a well-known man in Upper Swat. The Mianguls (descendants of Saidu Baba) deliberated with him on important matters. (The British feared that if any movements of troops into Upper Swat were found to be necessary in future, he would probably be one of the chief leaders against us). There was a Bazaar in Kuz Bandai and a number of ‘Parachas’ traded in ghee, cloths, grain and fruits. Water was procured from an irrigation channel.
BANJOT: Banjot was a hamlet of 40 houses on the right bank of the Swat River and contained tenants and servants of the Bami Khel village of Manglaor. Water was used from a stream then.
BARANIAL: (ELEV. 5,100′). (Present day Bahrain): On the southern boundary of Swat Kohistan, Baranial is a Torwal village on the left bank of the Daral Nala, near its junction with the Swat River. The Daral was here spanned by a cantilever bridge (in 1895). The roadway was then formed out of a hollowed log, the Swat River was also spanned by two similar bridges, one opposite Baranial and the other about ½ mile above it. Both these lead to Torwal on the opposite bank. Baranial had 230 houses and the Malak in 1895 was Arshulluh Khan.
BARAT KHEL: Barat Khel is one of the sub-section of the Babuzai, Baezais inhabiting the left bank of Upper Swat. Their chief men in 1895 were Nasrullah Khan of Balogram, Pasand Khan and Firoz Khan of Udigram. They could probably muster about 1,000 fighting men and had a population, 4,000 in 1895.
REFERENCE (SOURCE OF INFORMATION):
‘Gazetteer of Districts Adjoining the routes followed by Chitral Relief Force 1895’, Included As Part II with the title, ‘Gazetteer of Topographical and Ethnographical Information’, In ‘The ‘Military Report on Dir, Swat and Bajour’, (First Edition), Intelligence Branch , Division of the Chief of Staff, India, Shimla (1906), Pages 21-26.