DAGAI: Dagai was a village of 60 houses in Upper Swat belonging to the Sebujni section of Khwazazais. It is situated on right bank of the Harnawai stream.
DAGAI: Dagai was a village on the right bank of the Swat River and 14 miles above Chakdara. It was occupied by the Aba Khel branch of the Nikpi Khels and contained 50 houses. The Malak of Dagai in 1895 was Gujar Khan.
DAKORAK: Dakorak was a village of 100 houses belonging to the Allah Khel section of Maturizai. It is situated on the left bank of the Swat River about two miles north of Charbagh. It is about a mile from the river and an equal distance from the hills. The Malak of Dakorak in 1895 was Muhammad Afzal Khan.
DAM: Dam was a hamlet of 15 houses containing the servants and tenants of the village Parlai, which was though on the right bank of the Swat River yet belonged to the Aba Khel section of Baezais.
DAM OR ZIAM: Dam or Ziam was a hamlet of 15 houses situated on the right bank of Swat River under the hills at lower end of the Nikpi Khel ‘tappa’. According to some sources it belonged to the Aba Khel of Barikot (Kuz Sulizais) on the other side of the river. Between Dam and Didahara, the road was very difficult and on this account the Suigali route was preferred along with river bank.
DAMGHAR: Damghar was a a village of 60 houses belonging to the Asha Khel branch of Nikpi Khels. It is situated on the right bank of the Swat River above Kanju. The Malaks of Damghar and Kanju were brothers.
DANGARAM: Dangram was a hamlet of 30 houses containing tenants and servants of the Akamaruf, village of Mingaora on the left bank of the Swat River. Water was then used from a stream.
DARBAR: Darbar was a ‘serai’ or freehold village belonging to the Mianguls of Swat (descendants of the Akhund of Swat). It contained 70 houses and was situated near Badwan on the right bank of the Swat River in the Abazai ‘tappa’. It was occupied by fakir tenants in 1895.
DARMAI: Darmai was a village of 80 houses on the left bank of the Lalko stream in the Shamizai section and on the right bank of Swat River in Upper Swat.
DEOLAI: Deolai comprised of two villages in Upper Swat known as Sam Deolai and Bar Deolai. They contained 50 and 80 houses respectively and were situated on the Nikpi Khel stream, above where the stream divided into two branches. Sam Deolai was on the right bank of the south branch and Bar Deolai on the right bank of the north branch, i.e., between the streams. They belong to the Aba Khel sub-section.
DERAI: Derai was a ‘banda’ of 30 houses containing tenant servants of Damghar, a village of the Nikpi Khels. Water was used from irrigation channel.
DERAI: Derai was a village in the Azzi Khel section of Baezais. It consists of some 30 houses of Miangans and was situated on the skirt of the hills on the left bank of the Swat River opposite the Shamizai village of Bar Durshkhela. Its headman in 1895 was Totah Mian.
DIDAO: Didao was a ‘banda’ of the Bazid Khel Shamozais close under the hills on the right bank of the Swat River and about 7 miles above Chakdara. It contained some 90 houses of tenants and servants that included two Hindus as well.
DILAI: Dilai was a village belonging to the Asha Khel branch of Nikpi Khels situated on the right bank of Swat River opposite Manglaor and near the upper limit of the Nikpi Khel ‘tapa’. It contained 50 houses.
DITPANRAI: Ditpanrai was a village of 60 houses on the left bank of the Harnawai stream on the west side of the valley in Upper Swat. The inhabitants belonged to the Shamizai section of Khwazazais.
DODARA: Dodara (Dadahara) was a Nikpi Khel village situated on the right bank of the Swat River about twelve and half miles above Chakdara. It consisted of about 50 houses occupied by Miangans. Its headman in 1895 was Rahimullah.
DURSHAKHELA: (Now Duresh Khela) Durshakhela was comprised to two villages, Bar Durshakhela and Kuz Durshakhela. It is situated in the Shamizai ‘tapa’, the former one mile from the right bank of the Swat River while the later on the is on the River bank. Bar Durshakhela contained about 360 houses of the Mulla Khel clan. It was the most important village in the Shamizai section. Its Malak in 1895 was Masam Khan, son of Husain Khan of Asharai, who was the most influential man among the Shamizai. Kuz Durshakhela was occupied by the Hassan Khel (Shamizai) and contained about 200 houses. Its Malaks in 1895 were Gujar khan and Pir Muhammad Khan.
REFERENCE (SOURCE OF INFORMATION):
‘Gazetteer of Districts Adjoining the routes followed by Chitral Relief Force 1895’, Included As Part II with the title, ‘Gazetteer of Topographical and Ethnographical Information’, In ‘The ‘Military Report on Dir, Swat and Bajour’, (First Edition), Intelligence Branch , Division of the Chief of Staff, India, Shimla (1906), Pages 43-55.
TO BE CONTINUED…