FAZIL BANDA: Fazil Banda was a small village in Upper Swat that is situated on the left bank of the Harnawai stream near its source. The inhabitants belonged to the Sebujni section of Khwazazais.
GALUCH: Galoch was a village of 40 houses in Upper Swat belonging to the Aba Khel branch of the Nikbi Khel. According to the report, it was situated little above Sarsanai on the Nikpi Khel stream.
GAMSAR: Gamsar was a village of 40 homes belonging to the Sebujni section of Khwazazais. It is situated in the hills at the upper end of the Harnawai stream in Upper Swat and right Bank of Swat River.
GARAI: Garai was a collection of scattered hamlets that was inhabited by Mians situated in Shamizai territory in the Harnawai valley and on the right bank of Swat River.
GARAI: Garai was a Torwal village of about 60 houses in Kohistan. The Malak of Garai in 1895 was Said Akbar.
GARAI: Garai was a Nikbi Khel village situated at the lower (south-west) end of the ‘tappa’ on the right bank of the Swat River. It was occupied by the Aba Khel branch.
GARAI OR GAREH: Garai was a Bazid Khel Shamozai village of 100 houses, about eight and half miles from Chakdara on the road to Upper Swat. Its headman in 1895 was Asar Ali Khan. This village was formerly a ‘banda’ of Tirang, but was then occupied by Pathans and known as ‘bandesi’.
GASHKOR (OR KASH KOR): Gashkor was a village of 60 houses belonging to the Azzi Khel section of Baezais. It is situated on the left bank of the Swat River opposite Bar Bamakhela. Water in 1895 was used from irrigation channel. The Malaks of Gashkor in 1895 were Mukarrab Khan and Mir Zaman Khan. There were several hamlets hills dependent on this village.
GHAL: Ghal was a village of 20 houses on the left bank of the Harnawai stream, Upper Swat and right bank of Swat River. It belonged to the Shamizai section of Khwazazais.
GHALEGAI: Ghalegai was a large village of 600 houses situated under the skirts of the hills in the Aba Khel (Kuz Sulizai) section of Baezais on the left bank of the Swat River. The leading men in Ghalegai were Mansur Khan, Aslam Khan, Faizullah Khan and Abdul Malik son of Mir Alam. Amlukdara and Nagowa (on the other side of the river) were the ‘bandas’ containing the tenants and servants of Ghalegai.
GHAMJABAH: Ghamjabah was a village of 26 houses belonging to the Aba Khel branch of the Nikpi Khels. It is situated on the right bank of the Nikbi Khel stream.
GHARSHIN: Garshin was a village of the Jinki Khel section of the Bar Sulizai Baezais, situated on the left bank of the Swat River. It contained some 50 houses, the inhabitants of which were said to belong to the Manden Khel sub-division of the Jinki Khel.
GHABUJI: Ghabuji was a village of 130 houses situated on the left bank of the Swat River opposite the Nikpi Khel village of Kuz Bandai.
GODARA: Godgara was a village of 200 houses in the Bharat Khel (Babuzai) section of Baezai, situated under a spur on the left bank of the Swat River. Water was then used from irrigation channel. The Headmen of Godgara in 1895 were Khaire Khan and Bedullah Khan.
GOLIGRAM: Goligram was a banda of 30 houses containing servants and tenants of the Aba Khel (Babuzai) section of Baezai on the left bank of the Swat River. It is situated on the skirt of the hills at the lower end of the ‘tapa’. Water was used from a stream and springs.
GORA: (Gurrah) Gorrah was the name of a spur which ran down from the north to the bank of the Swat River about one mile east of Ramora. It formed the boundary between the Adinzai and the Shamozai ‘tapa’. Crossing this spur formed the first difficulty on the road into Upper Swat on the north bank of the river.
GULDERAI: Gulderai was a village of the Jinki Khel stream of Baizais. It consisted of some 80 houses and is situated on the skirt of the hills, on the left bank of the Swat opposite to the Shamizai village of Kuz Duresh khela. Water was used from a spring. The Malak of Gulderai in 1895 was Subah Mulla.
GULIBAGH: Gulibagh was a village of about 300 houses belonging to the Allah Khel Maturizai, Bar Sulizais. It is situated on the left bank of the Swat River in Upper Swat and about a mile from it. It is opposite to the Sebujni village of Zangun. Water was then used from irrigation channel. The Malaks of Gulibagh in 1895 were Faiz Talab Khan and Rahmat Shah. Rahmat Shah was the most influential man in the section as well.
GURATAI (OR GUNTAI): Guratai was a small village of 40 houses situated on the skirt of the hills on the east side of the river in Upper Swat. Its inhabitants were then tenants and servants of the Bami Khel, Babuzai village of Manglaor. Water sources was from a stream.
GURATAI (OR GURTAI): Guratai was a village belonging to the Musa Khel section of the Kuz Sulizai Baezais. It is situated on the left bank of the Swat River, about half mile from the hills. An irrigation channel passed close to the village. It contained two hundred and fifty houses. The Malaks of Guratai were in 1895 were Nuralam Khan, Rasul Khan and Shamsuddin Khan, the last being a man of some influence in the section. The hamlets Kandak and Jehangir contained servants and tenants of Guratai.
GWALERAI: Gwalerai was a village of 80 houses belonging to the Sebujni section of Khwazazais situated above the junction of the Shawr stream with the Harnawai on the right bank of the Upper Swat and right bank of Swat River.
REFERENCE (SOURCE OF INFORMATION):
‘Gazetteer of Districts Adjoining the routes followed by Chitral Relief Force 1895’, Included As Part II with the title, ‘Gazetteer of Topographical and Ethnographical Information’, In ‘The ‘Military Report on Dir, Swat and Bajour’, (First Edition), Intelligence Branch , Division of the Chief of Staff, India, Shimla (1906), Pages 55-69.
TO BE CONTINUED…