Swat History

HAIBATGRAM, HARIANA, HAZARA, IMAM DERAI, JANO AND JURRA VILLAGES IN 1895

HAIBATGRAM: Haibatgram was a walled village of 60 houses on the left bank of the Swat River, 1 mile east of Thana. Water was used from an irrigation channel. This village is on the road to Upper Swat which passes between it and a small suburb called Cham. It is situated about 200 yards from the end of a spur from south. To the south-east about a mile off are some Buddhist remains. Haibatgram belonged to the Khan Khel section of Baezais.

HARIANA: Hariana is a village in Swat-Kohistan on the left bank of the Swat River and about 15 miles above Baranial (Bahrain). The inhabitants are Torwals and it consisted of about 60 houses in 1895 while its Malak was Mulla Abid.

HARKOT OR NARKOT (Nalkot): Nalkot was a village of 80 houses on the right bank of the Harnawai stream in Upper Swat. The inhabitants belonged to the Sebujni section of Khwazazais.

HAZARA: A village of 200 houses occupied by the Asha Khel branch of the Nikpi Khels. It is situated about one mile from the Swat  River on the right bank of the Nikbi Khel stream and about fifteen and half miles from Chakdara on the road into Upper Swat.

IMAM DERAI: Imam Derai was a ‘banda’ of the Nikpi Khel village of Kuz Bandai. In 1895, it was occupied by the tenants of Yusaf Khan.

JANBIL (Jambil): Jambil was a village of  40 houses that belonged to the Bami Khel (Babuzai) section of Baezais on the east side of the valley in Upper Swat.  It is high up in the valley leading to the Kalel pass (into Buner). Water was then used from a stream.

JANGIR OR JEHANGIR: Jangir was a hamlet of 15 houses containing tenants and servants of the Musa Khel, Kuz Sulizai village of Guratai, Upper Swat. It is on the left bank of Swat River  an on the skirt of the hills. Water was then used from a spring.

JANO: A village of 30 houses on the east side of the valley in Upper Swat. It belongs to the Azzi Khel section of the Bar Sulizai Baezais and is situated in a lateral valley east of Chaliar. Water is brought from a stream in an irrigation channel.

JARAI on JURAI: Jaray was a ‘banda’ containing tenant servants of the Jinki Khel village of Paitai, Upper Swat and on the left bank of Swat River. This hamlet is only about a mile below Jareh and contained 15 houses in 1895.

JINKI KHEL: Jinki Khel is the uppermost section of the Baezai tribe and occupied the upper end of the Swat valley on the left bank. They extended to the borders of Kohistan near Brannial, and together with their neighboring sections, the Azzi Khel and Maturizai, are known as the Bar Sulizai. The inhabitants of the above, together with their tenants, can muster some 1,200 fighting-men, while the population amounts to 4,000. In addition to the Jinki Khel in the Swat valley, there are a number of villages in the valley of the Ghorband, a tributary of the Indus, which is divided from Upper Swat by a high range of hills. Again the valley of the Kana, which is a tributary of the Ghorband, is also occupied by Jinki Khel. The approximate number of the inhabitants of these valleys is 11,500 with 1,800 Saids and Miangans. The number of fighting men were about 3,000 in 1895. This portion of the Jinki Khels are practically cut off from those in the Swat valley, as communication between the Ghorband valley and Swat valley is via the Kotkai pass, which leads into Charbagh (Maturizai).

JOWARA1 (Pass) -EI.EV. 7,000:  Jowarai was a pass that led to Buner from Swat. This path goes up the Saidu valley in the Aba Khel (Babuzai) section,  pass the villages of Salanpur (Islampur)  and Sapalbande (Spal Bandai) over the path to the Buner villages of Dukarrah and Batai. This was a very difficult route and only though mules could manage to use it.

JURRA: Jurra was a village of 100 houses belonging to the Sebujni section of the Khwazazais, situated on the right bank of the Harnawai stream, a few miles above its junction with the Swat. This village was about 30 years ago (Report was written in 1895, thus the fighting might have took place in 1865) the scene of a fight in which Gujar Khan, Sebujni, having through the Mianguls (Descendants of Saidu Baba) procured aid from the Ranizais, Adinzais and Shamozais, defeated Husain Khan (Shamizai) and Jalal Khan, with whom he was at feud.

REFERENCE (SOURCE OF INFORMATION):

‘Gazetteer of Districts Adjoining the routes followed by Chitral Relief Force 1895’, Included As Part II with the title, ‘Gazetteer of Topographical and Ethnographical Information’, In ‘The ‘Military Report on Dir, Swat and Bajour’, (First Edition), Intelligence Branch , Division of the Chief of Staff, India, Shimla (1906), Pages 69-88.

TO BE CONTINUED…

 

The Chief Editor of the website (www.swatencyclopedia.com) is Jalal Uddin. He hails from Saidu Sharif, Swat. He is M.phil Scholar and his research field is Swat State. He regularly writes on Swat State and its various aspects.
×
The Chief Editor of the website (www.swatencyclopedia.com) is Jalal Uddin. He hails from Saidu Sharif, Swat. He is M.phil Scholar and his research field is Swat State. He regularly writes on Swat State and its various aspects.
Facebook Comments

Comment here

instagram default popup image round
Follow Me
502k 100k 3 month ago
Share