KALA KILA (Now Kala Kalay): Kala Kalay was a village of 40 houses in the Upper Swat situated on the bank of the Nikpi Khel stream near its junction in the Swat. It then belonged to the Abu Khel branch of the Nikpi Khels.
KALA KOT: Kala Kot is a Shamizai village situated on the right bank of the Lalko stream, about half mile above its junction with the Swat River on its right bank.
KALAM -ELEV. 6,500: Kalam is situated at the junction of the Ushu and Gabral streams which here unite and form the Kohistan River, known lower down as Swat River. In 1895, two bridges of the cantilever type with the roadway were dug out of the trunk of a tree span the Gabral, one at the village and the other about half a mile above. Kalam had 460 houses and the principal Malaks in 1895 were Dilbar Khan and Nabbat Khan.
KALEL: Kalel is a village belonging to the Bami Khel section of Baezais. It is situated on the ‘kotal’ of the pass of the same name which leads from Upper Swat into Buner.
KALEL PASS (ELEV. 6,560). Kalel Pass is a pass that leads from Swat to Buner. The path leaves Mingaora and proceeds up the valley of the Kukarai stream and pass through the villages of Dangaram (Dangram), Kukarai and Janbil (Jambil) to Kalel. These were all Swat villages belonging to the Bami Khel section (Baezais). Kalel is at the top of the ‘kotal’. The path then descends to the Buner village of Gokand. This was a long path then but its soil was easy, being earth and free from rocks.
KAMBAR (Now Qambar): Qambar was a vil1age of the Aba Khel (Babuzai) section of the Baizais and consisted of 400 houses. It is situated two miles below Mingaora on the left bank of Swat River. Danish was the Malak of Qambar in 1895 as well as of Katelai. The other Malaks were Sher Afzal Khan, Firoz Khan, and Saadullah Khan.
KANDAK: Kandak was a hamlet of 10 houses of containing tenants and servants of the Musa Khel, village of Guratai, Upper Swat. It is situated on the skirt of the hills and water source was a spring.
KANDAO: Kandao consisted of a few huts on the north west shoulder of Deolai peak and in the hills north of Kuz Swat. They was only inhabited during the summer months and had plentiful of springs.
KANJU: Kanju consisted of two villages, i.e., Kuz Kanju and Bar Kanju, belonging to the Asha Khel branch of the Nikpi Khels. These are situated about half mile to the south east of the road into Upper Swat. It was estimated that Kanju was seventeen and half miles from Chakdara and one and half miles from the right bank of the Swat River. There was about 100 houses and the Malak of Kanju was Sultan Mohammad.
KARAKAR PASS, ELEV. 4380: Karakar is the name of a pass leading from Swat into Buner. The path goes from Barikot, a village of Aba Khel, Kuz Sulizais section of the Baezais and passing through the valley in which there are villages of Natmera and Nawagai. It crosses the Karakar pass to the village of Ligianai and thence to Jowar in the Salarzai valley of Buner.
KARERAI: Karerai was a village 80 houses in the Harnawani valley, an important offshoot of the Swat valley on the west and right bank of Swat River. It belonged to the Shamizai section of Khwazozais in 1895.
KAROSHA: Karosha was a Torwal village of 30 houses in Swat-Kohistan and was estimated to be about 47 miles from Chakdara. The Malak of Karosha in 1895 was Roshan Khan who was also Malak of Bara and Kuza Garai.
KATELAI: Kateali was a village of the Aba Khel (Babuzai) section of Baezais and consisted of about 200 houses. Its Malaks in 1895 were Haider Khan and Danish. Danish was Malak of Qambar as well. Water was then obtained from a stream.
REFERENCE (SOURCE OF INFORMATION):
‘Gazetteer of Districts Adjoining the routes followed by Chitral Relief Force 1895’, Included As Part II with the title, ‘Gazetteer of Topographical and Ethnographical Information’, In ‘The ‘Military Report on Dir, Swat and Bajour’, (First Edition), Intelligence Branch , Division of the Chief of Staff, India, Shimla (1906), Pages 90-97.
TO BE CONTINUED…