KAZAGHAT (Now Fizagat): Fizagat is a place on the road between Manglaor and Mingora on the left bank of the Swat River. It was a difficult part of the road between the river and cliffs. An alternative route was usually used over the Shamalai spur.
KEDAM: Kedam is a Torwal village in Swat Kohistan, two miles above Baranial (Bahrain) It comprised of thirty houses in 1895.
KHADANG: ELEV. 5,500′. Khadang was a village of thirteen houses situated on the watershed of the hills north of Kuz Swat, east of Deolai peak and was occupied by the Shahi Khel clan of the Bahlol Khel. In the summer month, the inhabitants used to move up to Kandang after having sown their corns. The Malak of Khadang in 1895 was Ghulam Majid.
KHAZANA: Khazana was a Shamozai village and comprising of two hundred houses in 1895. It formed a ‘banda’ that was formerly occupied by the servants and tenants of the Chungai. In 1895, it contained Pathans of the Bazid Khel sub-section as well. The Malak of Khazana was Sohbat Khan. The water source were springs.
KHWAZA KHELA: Khwaza Khela was the most important village of the Azzi Khel section of the Baezais that contained 400 houses. Malaks of Khwaza Khela in 1895 were Muhammad Khan and Jamal Khan. It is situated opposite Budigram (Shamizai) on the left bank of the Swat River and a path from here led up into the Ghurban valley.
KHWAZAZAI: Khwazazai is one of the three great tribes which form the Akozai branch of the Yusafzais. They occupied the whole of the Swat valley on the right bank of the Swat River from Kohistan to the Panjkora, including Talash and Dush Khel. Also the Panjkora valley north of its junction with the Swat and the Dir country to the borders of Chitral. Shamizai had a population of 16000 and fighting men were 4000 in 1895. Sebujni had a population of 8000 and its fighting men were 2000. Nikpi Khel had a population of 11000 and fighting men were 3000. Shamozai had a population of 6000 and fighting men were 1500.
KITABAT: Kitabat was a village of thirty houses in Upper Swat on the east side of the valley.. Its inhabitants belonged to the Azzi Khel section of Baezais. Water was brought from a stream.
KOKRAI: Kokrai was a ‘banda’ of the Aba Khel (Babuzai) section of Baezais and situated in the Saidu valley on the left bank of the Swat River. Water source was a stream. It contained twenty five houses in 1895.
KOT: Kot is a village in Upper Swat and situated on a hill on the south side of the Harnawai valley. Its inhabitants belonged to the Sebujni section of Khwazazais. Water was used from a spring. It headman in 1895 was Rahmatullah Khan.
KOTAH (Now Kota): Kota is a village belonging to the Musa Khel section of Baezais. It was an important village on the left bank of Swat River. It consisted of some three hundred houses, of which one twenty were occupied by the Burhan Khel clan of the Musa Khel. The remainder of the village belonged to Mullahs. Malaks of Kota in 1895 were Saipur Khan, Sharifullah Khan and Bahram Khan. The later was a ‘sherunke’ in Guratai. The ‘bandas’ occupied by tenants of Kota were Landakai, Churkai and Talang.
KOTANAI: Kotanai was a village of some sixty houses belonging to the Azzi Khel section of Baezais. It is situated on the left hank of the Swat River opposite Kuz Durush Khela. The Malak of Kotanai in 1895 was Azad Khan.
KOTLAI: Kotlai was a hamlet of fifteen houses in Upper Swat and situated on the skirt of the hills in the Nikpi Khel valley. It belonged to the Aba Khel branch of the Nikbi Khel and water source was a spring.
KUAI: Kuai was a ‘banda’ of the Shamozai village of Zarakhela that consisted of fifty houses and situated in a small recess of the hill on the east side of the Shamozai valley. The headman of Kuai in 1895 was Rahmatullah Khan.
KUKARAI. Kokarai was a village of sixty houses situated on the bank of a stream on the east side of the valley in Upper Swat. The inhabitants belonged to the Bami Khel (Babuzai) section of Baezais. This village is on the road to the Kalel pass which leads into Buner.
KULADER: Kudader was a village of Sayyids and consisted of thirty houses. It is situated in the Barat Khel ‘tappa’ on the left bank of the Swat River and is on the Saidu stream.
KWARAI: Kwarai was a village of sixty houses in Upper Swat on the west side of the valley. It is on the left side of the Harnawai stream and belonged to the Shamizai section of Khwazazais.
Gazetteer of Districts Adjoining the routes followed by Chitral Relief Force 1895’, Included As Part II with the title, ‘Gazetteer of Topographical and Ethnographical Information’, In ‘The ‘Military Report on Dir, Swat and Bajour’, (First Edition), Intelligence Branch , Division of the Chief of Staff, India, Shimla (1906), Pages 97-114.
TO BE CONTINUED…