LABAT: Labat was a village of eighty houses in 1895 and situated at the Upper end of the Harnawai valley on the left bank of the stream. It belonged to the Shamizai section of Khwazazais.
LAIKOT: Laikot was a Gujar settlement about fifteen houses, 13 miles above Baranial (Bahrain) in Swat Kohistan and on right bank of Swat River.
LALKA (Bar and Kuz): (Now Lalko) Lalko was a group of Miangan villages on the hill known by the same name near the north end of Upper Swat in the Shamizai ‘tappa’ on the west side of the valley.
LALKA VALLEY: (Now Lalko) Lalko is the name of a stream and valley in the Shamizai section of Upper Swat. The stream was about 30 feet wide in 1895 and joined the Swat River between the villages of Kalakot and Landai. The valley is in the Shamizai contained the villages (all on the left bank of the stream) of Darmai, Landai, Sakhrah (now Sakhra), Naokhahar, Also in the hills are the villages of Bar Lalko, Kuz Lalko and Garai.
LANDAI: Landai was a Shamizai village of about one hundred and fifty houses situated on the left bank of the Lalko stream close to its junction with the Swat River. The Malak of Landai in 1895 was Kamran.
LANDAI: Landai was another village of twenty houses on the east side of the valley in Upper Swat. Its inhabitants belonged to the tenants of the Maturizai section of Baezais. Water source was an irrigation channel.
LANDAKAI: Landakai was a hamlet of fifteen houses in the Musa Khel section of Baezais. It belonged to the village of Kota. It was on the east face of a spur which coming down the river edge and it formed the boundary between the Musa Khels and Khan Khels. The road into Upper Swat passed round this spur, with the water on one side and a cliff on the other. The advance of troops into Upper Swat was opposed here on the 17th August 1897. The minor spurs leading up to the main ridge from Thana was negotiable by infantry and mountain artillery.
LANGAR: Langar was a village of thirty houses belonging to the Azzi Khel section of Baezais. It is in a valley of the hills east of Chaliar. Water was brought from a stream in an irrigation channel.
MAKH: Makh was a hamlet of ten houses in Upper Swat situated opposite to Sarsanai (Now Sirsinai) on the Nikpi Khel stream. It belonged to the Aba Khel branch of the Nikbi Khels.
MANGLAOR: (Now Manglawar) Manglaor was an important village in the Bami Khel (Babuzai) section of Baezais. In 1895, it consisted of 400 houses, and is situated on the left bank of the Swat River. It was divided into two portions by a big nullah. On the north side of the village was a considerable stream some two and half feet deep in the hot weather. The valley in which this stream flowed lead up to the Kotkai Pass. The Headmen of Manglaor in 1895 were Pasand Khan, Asab Khan, Bahadur Khan. There is a very fine stupa and other interesting Buddhist remains in the neighborhood.
MANIAR: (Now Manyar) Maniar was a village of 250 houses that belonged to the Aba Khel (Kuz Sulizai) section of Baezais on the left bank of the Swat River. Water source was a spring. Headmen of Maniar in 1895 were Wafa Muhammad Khan and Ashaf Khan.
MANJA: Manja was village near the head of the Nikpi Khel and consisted of twenty houses belonging to the Asha Khel branch of the section.
MANJA PASS-ELEV. 7,500′. Manja pass was at the head of the Nikpi Khel valley and lead over the hills and down by the Tormung valley to the Panjkora. It was said to be fit for mule transport. The pass was bare but the mountain slopes were well wooded. The road was used by laden animals. This was the road taken by Muahammad Sharif of Dir while fleeing to the Swat valley.
Gazetteer of Districts Adjoining the routes followed by Chitral Relief Force 1895’, Included As Part II with the title, ‘Gazetteer of Topographical and Ethnographical Information’, In ‘The ‘Military Report on Dir, Swat and Bajour’, (First Edition), Intelligence Branch , Division of the Chief of Staff, India, Shimla (1906), Pages 114-129.
TO BE CONTINUED…