MANKIAL-ELEV. 5,700′. Mankial consisted of two Torwal villages on the left bank of the Kohistan River opposite Chodgram. Mankial in 1895 had about fifty houses in each village and its Malak was Said Akbar.
MATURIZAI: Maturizai is a section of the Baezais tribe and one of the three included in the Bar Sulizais. It was situated on the left bank of the Swat River below the Azzi Khel section and above the Bami Khels. The leading men of this section in 1895 were Kalu Khan and Satoh Khan of Charbagh and Rahmat Shah of Gulibagh. The later was probably the most influential. The total population was about 4500 while the fighting-men are 1300.
MIANKILA: Miankila was a village of 20 houses in Upper Swat belonging to the Sebujni section of Khwazazais and situated in the Harnawai volley near the east entrance to the Biakand pass.
MIANKILA: Miankila was a village in the Azzi Khel ‘tapa’ (Baezai) on the left bank of the Swat River and opposite to Baidarah (Now Baidara). It consisted of thirty houses that were occupied by Maingans.
MIANMAIRA: Mianmaira was a village of twenty houses of Miangans. It is situated on the right bank of the Harnawai stream near Miankila, a village of the Sebujni in Upper Swat.
MINGAORA (Now Mingora): Mingora was the largest and most important village in Upper Swat. It consisted 1,000 houses in 1895. Two streams from the south, one from the Jowarai pass and Saidu, and the other called Kokarai from the Kalel pass met at Mingora and passed to the east of it and fell into the Swat River. On the north side of Mingora was an irrigation channel. There was a considerable market here and the bazaar contained 40 houses belonging to the Parachas. There were also a few Hindus. They traded chiefly in salt, ghee, cottons, silk, blankets, rice, fruits and honey. These traders went as far as Calcutta, Bombay and Karachi. The inhabitants belonged to the Akamaruf, Babuzai section of Baezais. Mirdad Khan and Jamroz Khan were the two most important men in Upper Swat and in Mingora. There were 1500 fighting men and 600 guns in Mingora. Its population was 5000. The inhabitants of Mingora owned a number of buffaloes, cattles and the traders had some 200 mules.
MUHAMMAD BEG: Muhammad Beg was a hamlet of fifteen houses in Upper Swat that contained the servants of the Aba Khel branch of Nikpi Khels.
MUSA KHEL: Musa Khel is a section of the Baezais tribe that occupied the left bank of the Swat River. Their territory extended from the Landakai spur, 4 miles below Thana, to the limits of the Aba Khel section, which was next to it. The Aba Khels, Musa Khels and Khan Khels are collectively known as Kuz Sulizais. The Musa Khels were said to number some 1,500 fighting men. The most important man in the section in 1895 was Faizullah Khan of Abuha. He had also great influence in the neighboring section of Aba Khels. There were a number of Gujar villages in the hills, where numerous buffaloes were grazed.
Gazetteer of Districts Adjoining the routes followed by Chitral Relief Force 1895’, Included As Part II with the title, ‘Gazetteer of Topographical and Ethnographical Information’, In ‘The ‘Military Report on Dir, Swat and Bajour’, (First Edition), Intelligence Branch , Division of the Chief of Staff, India, Shimla (1906), Pages 129-139.
TO BE CONTINUED…