NAGOWA [Nagoha]: Nagowa in 1895 was a village of sixty houses. It is situated on the right bank of the Swat River in the Nikpi Khel area. Nagoha at that time belonged to the village of Ghalegai on the other side of Swat River in the Aba Khel section and to the village of Barikot in the same section. Copious springs were here.
NAJIGRAM: Najigram in 1895 was a hamlet consisting of twenty houses of the Aba Khel (Kuz Sulizai) village of Barikot. It is in a valley to the east on the road to the Karakar pass and was then occupied by Miangans. Water was used from streams.
NANGAKATA: Nangakata was a Shamizi village of twenty houses on the right bank of the Swat River.
NAOKHAHAR: Naokhahar was a Shamizi village of eight houses on the left bank of the Lalko stream in Upper Swat valley.
NARAI TANGAI: Narai Tangai is a valley in the hills west of Totakan in Lower Swat. It was given as a free hold to the descendants of the Akhund Sahib of Swat. It was very fertile and watered by a stream. It contained a village of the same name that contained forty houses of fakir tenants of the Mianguls of Swat.
NARKOT [Arkot]: Arkot was a village of forty houses in Upper Swat, high up on the right bank of the Harnawai stream. Its inhabitants were Sayyids, tenants of the Sebujni.
NATMERA: Natmera in 1895 was a hamlet of twenty houses that contained tenants and servants of the Aba Khels, Kuz Sulizai in Barikot. It is situated on the road to Karakar pass that leads into Buner. Water source were springs.
NAWAGAI: Nawagai was a village of 70 houses that contained servants and tenants that belonged to the Aba Khel (Kuz Sulizai), village of Shingardar. Water source was a spring.
NAWEKILA: Nawekila (now written as Naway Kalay) was a hamlet of forty houses that contained tenants and servants of the Barat Khel, Babuzai village of Panjigram (Baezai). It is situated close under the hills on the left bank of the Swat River. It was also known by the name Tindodak [Tindodag]. Headman of Nawekila in 1895 was Husain Khan.
A village with this name was a Baezai ‘banda’ that contained servants and tenants of Mingora on the left bank of the Swat River. It consisted of 30 houses and close to it was a large irrigation channel.
With a similar name, there was another village of forty houses that was walled and had towers. It belonged to the Musa Khel section of Baezais. It was situated on the left bank of the Swat River and shares in the ‘bandas’ of Kota. Water was from irrigation channel.
With this very name, there was another village of twenty houses in Upper Swat on the east side of the valley that was inhabited by the Maturizai section of Baezais.
Another village with this name contained 20 houses and was situated on the left bank of the Swat River. It belonged to the Azzi Khel section of Baezais in Upper Swat. Water was utilized from an irrigation channel.
There was also another village having this name. it was a hamlet of Miangans near Tirat in the Shamizai section at the extreme end of Upper Swat and on the right bank of Swat River.
Gazetteer of Districts Adjoining the routes followed by Chitral Relief Force 1895’, Included As Part II with the title, ‘Gazetteer of Topographical and Ethnographical Information’, In ‘The ‘Military Report on Dir, Swat and Bajour’, (First Edition), Intelligence Branch , Division of the Chief of Staff, India, Shimla (1906), Pages 139-145.
TO BE CONTINUED…