Whereas the Government of India have no desire to annex the territory of Swat but have decided to accord formal recognition to the present de-facto ruler of that territory upon certain conditions, Abdul Wadud Mian Gul Gulshahsada (Bacha Sahib) fully and freely undertakes to carry out and abide by the terms detailed below:—
(1) He will be loyal to the British Government and will give open and active support to that Government at all times and good service when required.
(2) He will prevent his subjects from raiding into and from committing dacoities in administered territory or protected tribal areas.
(3) He will not allow outlaws from administered territory to harbour in the territories under his rule or to commit offences therefrom.
(4) He will not permit his territories to be used as a base for propaganda against the British Government.
(5) Ho will not interfere secretly or openly by force of arms or otherwise with the people of the following tracts:—
a.Isazais which includes the Madda Khels, Hassanzais and Akazais, who are in receipt of Government allowances and have made agreement with Government.
b.Pitao Amazai and all the villages and tribes to the East of the Mahaban Ridge.
c.Gadun (Mansur and Salar).
d.Utmanzais (i.e, the people of Khabbal and Kaya).
e.The Kohistan tracts of Usho, Kalam and Utrot.
f.The territories assigned to Dir State under the Adinzai Agreement of 1922 as amended by the supplementary settlement of 14th April 1926.
(6) He will make such arrangements in connection with the Swat Forests as are approved by Government in order to save those areas from deforestation in the interests of the irrigation of Swat and of the Peshawar District.
(7) In return for the above consideration as detailed in clauses 1 to 6 the Government of India undertake to recognize Abdul Wadud Mian Gul Gulshahzada as ruler of Swat, to give him reasonable assistance in developing his territories and to pay him an allowance of Rs. 10,000 per annum. This allowance will be payable in half-yearly installments with effect from 1st April 1926.
(8) This agreement is personal with Abdul Wadud Mian Gul Gulshahzada and will remain in force only so long as the aforesaid Mian Gul remains alive and is actually ruler of Swat. The agreement implies no undertaking on the part of the Government of India to support the Mian Gul’s rule by armed force.
Signed by me at Saidu, this 3rd day of May 1926.
SEAL OF THE MIANGUL.
H. A. F. METCALFE,
Political Agent, Dir, Swat and Chitral.
Signed on behalf of the Government of India.
W. J. Keen,
Chief Commissioner, North-West Frontier Province.
SOURCE OF INFORMATION (REFERENCE):
A COLLECTION OF TREATIES, ENGAGEMENTS AND SANADS RELATING TO INDIA AND NEIGHBORING COUNTRIES, (VOLUME XI), (Revised and Continued upto 1929, Compiled by C.U. Aitchison, Mittal Publications, Dehli, Reprinted in 1983, Pages 450-451.